Monday, December 31, 2012

December Goals

1. Run and/or walk 100 miles.
Fail. I ended the month with a pathetic 15.65 miles. My worst month yet. Watch out January... I'm getting the 100 miles no matter what!

2. Continue writing Isabel's novel.
I have changed the idea of the novel and decided not to add parts from before NaNoWriMo started. I think it's better to start now and continue from this point on. It will help to keep going from here than to have the stress of trying to remember dates and emotions from the past four years.

3. Stay within budget for Christmas.
Epic Win! I honestly couldn't tell you how much we ended up spending (I probably should have kept track, but I'm taking baby steps here..) but we spent a whole heck of a lot less than last year. The best part was that everyone appreciated what we got them and we don't have to worry about any added debt.

4. Continue to not use any credit cards. Make a plan to pay off all debts by the end of 2013.
There was a need to use my Chevron gas card this month. I had to use it once and Patrick had to use it once. The only reason I had to use it was because someone tried to use my debit card number in Brazil. The transaction was declined but I still had my card cancelled and was issued a new card. It took 10 days to arrive and during that time I needed to get gas. No cash, no debit card = a need to use the credit card. I had already decided that my Chevron card was the only card I was willing to use on an "emergency" basis and it is the only credit card that I keep in my wallet. I considered this an emergency and I don't feel guilty about it.

I still would like to make a set plan in writing for the coming year. The only plan I have is to continue to pay on each of my credit cards each month. Credit card #1 should be paid off in 15 months if I continue to pay what I'm paying. Credit card #2 should be paid off in 5 and a half months. Credit card #3 should be paid off in 12 and a half months. Credit card #4 should be paid off in 2 months. Clearly this payment plan will not get me debt free in 2013, however when I pay off credit card #4 in 2 months I will be able to pay more towards credit card #2. When that one is paid off I can focus on #3 and so on.

As far as debt #1.. The current plan is to pay off as much as I can whenever I can. I put part of the money I made at the garage sale toward this debt as well as some of the money I received at Christmas time. I am also paying off a little with each paycheck. I know that this is not going to be enough to pay off the entire debt by the end of 2013, so I need to figure out some way to pay it off. In the past month alone I've been able to pay off $175 simply by making two small payments with each paycheck and putting any extra money straight toward the debt. If I continue this way I will pay off the debt in 24 and a half months. So I definitely need to make a plan and stick with it, no if ands or butts.

5. Get organized and stay organized.
I knew I was going to struggle with this goal and I will admit that at the end of the month I did better than I thought I would. I cleaned the apartment the Saturday before Christmas. I wasn't scrubbing the baseboards or anything, but the place looked good. Then Christmas happened. I'm hoping in the new year I am able to find a place for everything and make sure that the apartment gets picked up each night so that it doesn't become overwhelming. As for work, after the flood at work I changed desks. It's still not sure whether this move is permanent or not, so for now my desk is a little scattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment