Monday, December 17, 2012

Innocence Lost

I've been trying to organize my thoughts about Friday's senseless acts in Newtown, Connecticut. There just is no way of organizing those thoughts because there is no way of understanding why it happened, how it happened or what that community is going through. I hope the following makes sense.

I can only hope and pray that we, as a country, are able to come together and do something to change this and prevent it from happening again. This should not be something that we band together in support for a period of time and then slowly forget the hurt we feel, slowly forget the anger we feel and slowly forget the effects of such a violent act. I see that happen over and over again until the next heart breaking event happens.

To the town of Newtown, Connecticut: I hope that you are able to band together. Not only for the citizens who lost loved ones, but for the families who no longer feel safe.

To the teachers and principle who lost their lives: You will always be considered heroes to me because you died protecting the lives of your students. Parents are supposed to feel safe sending their students to school and I think that with teachers who are willing to put their lives first, we can continue to feel safe.

To the young children who lost their lives: I can only hope that you were told daily how much you were loved. I have no words when I think of how little you all were. How much potential you had laying ahead of you. How innocent you were. You were taken away too soon...

To the parents who lost their loved ones: I cannot understand what you are going through. No one can unless they too lost a loved one to such a violent hateful act. I hope that you are able to heal together. No matter how long we have with our loved ones, it is never long enough. This could not be more true in this situation. My heart breaks for your loss. My heart continues to break for the burden of grief you will carry with you for the rest of your life. I could not imagine losing a child and can only hope that you are able to find the help you need in order to receive any relief from that grief.

To the first responders: It is because of you that more lives were not taken that day. You are also heroes because, although too many lives were taken, it could have been far more devastating. I hope you are able to receive the counseling you need after seeing those horrific images.

I hope that the victims did not suffer. That they are able to be innocent children forever as angels. I hope that we are able to find ways for this to stop happening. I hope that those out there who have these thoughts of causing so much hurt and pain to others are able to get the help they need, are able to realize that they are not well and that these actions are not worth it. I hope that I can feel safe sending my daughter to school.

The acts of violence on Friday made me cry while sitting at my desk at work. They made me ache to hug Isabel, to hold her, to tell her how much I love her. Those are things I did on a daily basis, but now they are things I do a little tighter, a little longer, and a lot more often. A few weeks ago Isabel started saying "I love you and I'll miss you" every time someone left. She would say it until you said it back. It's a good reminder to say those things. To every one.

Let the people you love know that you love them.

Let us never forget. 12.14.12

No comments:

Post a Comment