Friday, December 28, 2012

WEverb12- Day 28

28: empower [HOPE]
What made you feel powerful in 2012?

I felt powerful completing the LA Marathon in March. After 7 months of training it finally came time to prove if we would be able to finish or not. We didn't take the advice of not making a time goal for our first marathon and planned on finishing under six and a half hours. After our training runs and realizing that there was no way we'd be able to do intervals the entire way we wanted to give ourselves a buffer so that our goal would be obtainable.

Our last long distance training run was in Venice and we were to run 13 miles down the beach, turn around and run 13 miles back. Rachel and I decided that .2 wasn't much more and ended up running our own marathon that day, finishing the training run in 6 hours 25 minutes, five minute faster than our goal. Of course we had to up our goal for race day to beat our training run time.

And we did, by 10 minutes! We crossed the finish line with an official finish time of 6 hours 15 minutes 11 seconds.

I've never felt more powerful than at that moment. I proved to myself that I could finish something that I started. Of course now I want to finish in under 6 hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment