Tuesday, December 25, 2012

WEverb12- Day 25

25: give [CREATE]

What was the best gift you gave someone this year?

We decided to adopt a family this year at work for the second year. Lorien came up with a great idea last year that we should adopt a family instead of doing a secret Santa at work. After an incident at our last secret Santa exchange it made more sense for us to give to the less fortunate than to each other. We really don't know each other's taste and it was interesting to say the least.

This year we went through a different foundation and were assigned a family of four, a mother, father, 5 year old and 5 month old. It was so rewarding to be able to buy something for someone who may not be able to afford the things they want and hopefully it makes their holiday just a little better. Lorien and I also wrapped the gifts and it made it so special for us to help someone else this season instead of buy someone at work a gift card or something they didn't need or want.

I think this may be our last year adopting a family at work. It was frustrating to organize and get everyone to participate, so I've asked Lorien if she and I can just do it next year. I know it's not about how it makes me feel, that it's about donating to the less fortunate, but I can't help but feel good about doing something like this for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment