Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Retail Shop Therapy

My first wedding dress fitting is in two days. I thought I was ready for it. When I purchased my dress they had two sizes at the store, the size above mine and the size below. Since it was a discontinued dress and since it was "the one" I decided to go with the size above mine and have it taken in.

I bought the dress about 10 months ago. Since then I have tried it on a few times since it's been at my parent's house this whole time. It's fit every time, usually with a little bit of wiggle room.

I decided to go try it on again tonight to mentally prepare myself for Thursday's dress fitting. I know that I have gained a little weight recently (thanks to having zero self control), however I don't know exactly how much since I am currently boycotting the scale.

Well, not only was it tight but I also managed to break my wedding dress. Somehow the little strap that holds it up on the hanger got caught in the zipper. At first I couldn't unzip it, but was finally able to get out of the dress. Now it won't zip up. This is the complete opposite of awesome-sauce, and so not what I needed right now. Also not sure how much it's going to cost me to fix it, and since we're almost over budget I'm stressing like no other.

So my two options were retail therapy or food therapy. Believe me, I could have gone for either one. But I decided that I'd rather regret spending money than eating too much food. You see, I can always return the clothes...

Thankfully, we decided to go shopping at Marshall's and I was able to find cute clothes without burning a hole in my wallet. I'm really glad my mom was there too. She's honest when I ask her her opinion on clothing which is helpful in situations like tonight, otherwise I would have spent a lot more than I did. I am also really glad that Isabel was there. For some reason she had a lot more energy today than she normally does. Plus she hates shopping (the one thing she did not inherit from me), meaning my shopping time was limited.

Here are the tops I found:








Probably not the best use of my time or my money, but I had an excuse... My dress for success options were getting pretty limited. Hopefully I can put some cute outfits together in the next few days. I could really use the self-esteem boost right now after the dress fiasco.

I'm hoping that the dress will fit on Thursday and that they will be able to fix the zipper easily. I know they will need to take in the bust, but as of now the rest fits, well I guess perfectly since it doesn't need to be altered. That may be a blessing in disguise (less alterations=less money to spend). They're for sure going to be adding a bustle and cap sleeves. I'm going to ask how far in advance they need to make any last minute alterations. The wedding is just over 10 weeks away. It's time to get down to business.

Patrick and I just started Monday with eating better and exercising more. I'm hoping that if I continue to put my all into it for the next few weeks I will be able to have it altered a few weeks before the wedding if need be. If not, then I need to realize that I have a beautiful wedding dress, I'm going to be a beautiful bride and the only person who sees anything wrong with my body the way it is, is me.

Why is so difficult to just accept myself the way I am and allow myself to be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment