Saturday, March 30, 2013

Surgery

Yesterday morning I had surgery. We woke up bright and early and made it to the surgery center with plenty of time.

I got brought to the back and put into a gown. Patrick waited in the waiting area for my mom and Isabel. The first nurse said only Patrick could come back, but my nurse said my mom and Isabel could come back for a minute to give me a hug and kiss before surgery.

Patrick was able to sit with me until the anesthesiologist came to put in my IV. She also put in a intraclavicular block to numb my whole arm. From what I could feel, the needle was rather large. It hurt but it was more uncomfortable than painful.

Patrick came back after she was done. Toward the end of the injection I got really dizzy and my heart rate shot up. It was due to the adrenaline in the shot, but it freaked me out a bit so I was glad when I saw Patrick again.

We kissed and both said "See you later" and I was wheeled back to the operating room. I got onto the operating table, was covered in warm blankets and given a "cocktail" which put me to sleep.

I woke up still in the operating room, but the surgery was over and all I could do was say thank you repeatedly. To the nurses and the doctor. Everyone.

I stayed in recovery for just a little bit before receiving a pain pill and then Patrick came back and sat with me before I was able to get dressed with the help if a nurse and go home.

It felt like I was only out for 5 minutes, but I was in surgery for about two hours. After trying so many other methods of treatment with no help I was beginning to think people were doubting me. I was in pain, but there didn't seem to be a reason..

So while in recovery I was oddly pleased to find out that the doctor did find something more going on with my wrist. Apparently there was damage and there was no structural support. He was able to fix it, but it's pushing my medical leave from 6-8 weeks to at least 12 weeks.

Not sure how I feel about that. Guilty is the top emotion, but I also know if I go back to early then I risk a reinjury.

For now I'm just trying to stay comfortable, which is not easy. I'm in a lot of pain and although I know the pain medication is probably doing something, it's not doing enough.

Thank goodness I have good nurses. I don't know what I'd do without Patrick and my mom.











1 comment:

  1. I feel guilty when I have to take time off for sickness too. But rest and heal and you'll be back to normal in no time!

    ReplyDelete