Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Book Reviews

Since I have set a goal for myself to read 24 books this year (yes, I'm a slow reader), I thought it would be a good idea to write a quick book review after reading each book. What I like/dislike about the book and a summary.

I couldn't even tell you how I go about picking out books. Sometimes it's based on reviews and recommendations, but mostly it's based on the cover and the description of the book on the back. I can usually tell within the first sentence or two of a description as to whether or not I'm going to enjoy a book.

I'm the type of person who likes to finish books that I start, no matter if I like them or not. It's very difficult for me to leave a book unfinished. However, I did this for the first time in a while last month. I was reading the book Apples to Oranges by Marie Brenner and I just could not get into it. I don't know if it was the writing style or if I just couldn't connect with the storyline for whatever reason, but I had to put it down and not pick it up again. And after thinking about it, I'm okay with that. Why waste my time on a book that I'm not going to enjoy when I can pick up a book and read it within a week (again, slow reader). And that's exactly what I did.

I don't usually have the time to sit down with a book. It's just not something that's high on my priority list even if it is something that I find highly enjoyable. So this year I challenged myself to reading two books a month. Something I felt was manageable. Since I don't read every day I knew it would take me longer to get through a book than normal and even then it would have taken me a while.

It's a little over half way through the month and I am right on track for where I need to be. I have finished a total of seven books and I just started my eighth.
I plan on writing reviews soon for the seven books I've finished and then I'd like to write a review after each book after that. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment