Friday, May 4, 2012

Tie-Dye Cupcakes

The first time I made tie-dye cupcakes was this past Easter. My mom put me in charge of dessert and had found a recipe for tie-dye cupcakes in the April edition of Cooking Light magazine. The recipe can also be found at www.Jello.com/Recipes.

Ingredients:
1 pkg white cake mix
1/4 cup dry JELL-O Lemon Flavor Gelatin
1/4 cup dry JELL-O Lime Flavor Gelatin
1/4 cup dry JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
Frosting



Prepare cake batter as directed on package.

Divide evenly into 3 bowls. Stir different flavor dry gelatin mix into batter in each bowl.






 Alternately spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups 2 Tbsp. at a time until full.






(The cupcakes above were more "tie-dye" while the ones below were more layered.)








Bake as directed on package of cupcakes. Cool completely.





 Spread with frosting.








Enjoy.









I've made these a couple times since then, but I have not tried them again with Jell-o. Instead I've used food coloring. The photo's below are from last night. We are having a Cinco de Mayo potluck at work and I decided to make the layered cupcakes using red and green food dye to look like the Mexican flag. 













     








                                                                                








































Making tie-dye cupcakes has become my new passion. I love the endless possibilities and all the different colors you can do. Plus, who doesn't love cupcakes?

Happy early Cinco de Mayo everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I should have never read this post - because I am majorly craving cupcakes!! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete