Thursday, October 25, 2012

Matron of Honor Speech

There were a few moments before the ceremony started that I teared up and was ready to cry. They were tears of nervousness and excitement.

As soon as I walked down the aisle I was overwhelmed with emotion, all happiness and I could not stop smiling. I was afraid that I would be a crying baby during the entire ceremony, but I held it together.

I was also afraid I would cry during the speeches. My dad's speech was short and sweet. The best man's speech was both funny and meaningful (I'm trying to get a copy of his speech). But my matron-of-honors speech was touching and brought a tear or two to my eye. I was lucky enough to get a copy of her speech so that I don't have to try to remember what she said, I can refer to it whenever I want.

"Good evening! For those of you who don't know me, I am Rachel, the very proud big sister of our beautiful Bride. I want to start by congratulating Tracy and Patrick, and thanking all of you for coming here today.

When I look at Tracy and Patrick, I feel such a whirlwind of emotions. I know that Tracy has found her true match and I know that theirs will be a marriage of long standing.

I never knew Patrick before he dated my sister, so I can't tell you any horrible stories about him, but I can tell you that I think he is perfect for my sister! He's easy going, interesting, and he has a great sense of humor! His only downfall, that I can think of is, well he is an Angels fan! (she pulled out and put on a Dodger's hat) Other than that we are very happy to welcome Patrick into our family.

Tracy, I want to note how beautiful you look today, and to tell you that this has truly been a special day for me. Thank you for giving true meaning to the word sister and for sharing the last 27 years with me. As children Tracy and I weren't always that close and in all honesty we were complete opposites. I had dark hair and dark eyes, Tracy had blonde hair and blue eyes, and I MAY HAVE told her NUMEROUS times while growing up she was adopted and the mailman was her dad.

I was very outgoing and Tracy was shy and laid back. But as we have grown up we have definitely become more alike, and more than sisters. We have become best friends and more and more of our life is very similar. Tracy and I have both picked really amazing me to call our husbands - and look how lucky we both are the we can both say we have amazing brother in laws!

Tracy went along with a CRAZY idea I had to start running marathons, and now every Saturday we get to hang out, catch up and really the miles fly by because I have my best friend running alongside me.

I think that perhaps because I am Tracy's big sister, I sometimes worry about her. But not today. Tracy has definitely found the right man in Patrick and I'm happy and proud to be her Matron of Honor.

I thought about the words of advice that I'd like to give to the newlyweds and came up with this:

The two secrets of a long lasting and happy marriage are a good sense of humor and a short memory!

Patrick, always remember to say those three important little words... "You're right dear." If you're clever, you'll always have the last word. However, if you are very clever, you won't use it. When you are wrong, admit it. Whenever you are right, be quiet.

Separately, you are two special, remarkable people, but together you are complete.

Please raise your glasses while I toast my sister and her husband:

Take each day and cherish your time together. Love one another and stand together. Here's to love, laughter and happily every after. Cheers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment